Saturday, July 17, 2010

Week 2

Creating a Wiki and a Web Page
Lesson two of managing e-learning and there is no slowing down... This week I created my own wiki page (with some assistance) and I have begun creating a web page. The wiki page was easier for me because I felt more familiar with it... But both the wiki and web page had the tools easily accessible and were simple!! When creating the wiki the class spent time looking at deBono's 6 thinking hats, we spent time inserting pictures and tables I found this simple enough to do. My question would be are wikis an effective resource for a thinking framework that is going to be used by students in a classroom?- I think that it is as it is easily accessible and students are able to actively engage in the thinking process through contributing to the wiki independently.

The website was interesting to use and was a tool that at first I was unsure on how it could be used effectively, after some thought I feel as though the webpage would be a better way for students to independently share their knowldge and understanding of new content or topics they are learning in the classroom.

When using these online resources I was aware there were legal considerations around copying music but I was not aware of the detail and extensive documents around what can and cannot be posted/ or used without permission. I am shocked to realise that everything that is done openly online can be accessed by anyone, anywhere... As a teacher using online resources in a classroom it would be vital to be aware of these regulations and to be cautious when students are using online blogs and websites as learning tools. It is scary to think how vulnerable students and even teachers and adults are when they openly provide personal details sometimes without even realising... Obviously, I still have so much to learn during this course and I am now beginning to understand the importance of e-learning and its practices, not only as a student teacher but also as an Internet user.

No comments:

Post a Comment